Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Gallery of Artworks (Part of Application Pack)

Images of Artworks

(Two collages layered)











(Final exhibition outcome)




 
‘A Desire Stuck But Not For Long’, found google images and plastic glass, collage, 2017

This is what I visualise Greece to look like in my mind, which is where I’ve never been, but I’ve always wanted to visit. The presentation of the layers being frozen in its slightly spread out state reveals the construction of the collage, like a behind-the-scenes of a film, coming out of its final outcome appearance.







‘Hanley Park Project’ – installation (mixed media, found objects, acrylic and oil on panel, text notes, pencil on paper, table, shelf, chair, books, photography) 2018

At the End of Level 5 Degree Exhibition, named ‘Equivocal’, I produced an installation of a fabricated and temporal studio space. It showed the research, experiments and artworks in the process of a project exploring and documenting the changes of Hanley park in its current restoration. The changes of the park were merged with my studio practice of painting, photography and how time changes things like natural forms and architecture. It’s the behind-the-scenes of a project. The work is inspired by Mark Dion’s ‘Harbingers of The Fifth Season’. The scene has been recently touched and has now been paused in the process, but not frozen. The installation is also accompanied by a small drawing and key of everything listed there in its fabrication.









 ‘Step in Time’, acrylic paint on paper, 2017

In my Hanley Project, based on documenting the changes of Hanley Park, these paintings came from exploring the park multiple times, while taking photographs of some of the architecture and how it changes through time, like the stone banner beside the steps. Like these three small paintings in levels, they’ve changed through time and I’m going back in time.


















(Full painting before turned into collages)






‘Colosseum’ and ‘Lights in the Night’, acrylic paint on paper, 2017
These paintings come from landscape photograph’s I took on my past travels in Italy. I used cubism and fragmentation, as a method, to represent how memories change through time. Memories themselves become fragmented. I used my personal memories as an example when exploring ‘memory’.





‘One Life’, Collection of found objects, 2017

When working with three other artists in a small exhibition, we produced an artwork individually in the cycle of life: Birth, Life, Death and Reincarnation. My section was life and this artwork represents the life of a fictional individual person, made of found objects as left behind clues to who that person after that person died. It’s not specific in terms of names, dates or family photos to remain anonymous but shows only objects that were owned by that person in life.

































‘Park Run’ and ‘Birds Behaviour’, acrylic paint on MDF panel, 2018

In my Hanley park Project, I painted two panels of movement I saw happening in the park, such as the volunteers running at the weekly park run and the behaviour of birds flying around and over the pond. Jackson Pollock’s action painting inspired these as well.





‘Graffiti’, mixed media, 2018

In my Hanley Park project, I saw a lot of graffiti drawings all around the park, which left me thinking what the narratives behind these stories were. I gathered some graffiti by photography and drew miniature versions of them in different mediums. I tried to stay loyal to the material that was used to create them by their creators. I thought it would be interesting to see the reactions of people who created them, in the exhibition.










‘Myth and Reality’, acrylic and oil paint on two MDF panels, 2018

In my Hanley Park project, I combined two different paintings that I thought would fit nicely together as one artwork.

At first, I wanted to paint something inspired by my interest in Greek mythology. The painting of the swan came from the animal life I found in Hanley park and how the swan is a symbol of the goddess of love and beauty, Aphrodite. I also included the changes from winter to spring in Hanley park, which in turn reminded me of the Greek myth of the abduction of Persephone, because when she is on earth, spring and summer awaken, but when she stays in the underworld, the world changes to autumn and winter.

The smaller painting again comes from my exploration of the park, when I saw a love lock on a bridge. The symbolism between these paintings are quite similar, so I put them together for the lock and swan to be interacting.





 

 Collection of ‘Natural Forms’, photography, 2018

In my Hanley Park project, while exploring the park, I found natural material’s (leaves, twigs, stones, etc) and improvised with them in creating abstract sculptures and then photographed them to place in the exhibition. I then left each sculpture to their fate to most likely be destroyed by the weather and I was hoping the audience, after seeing them as photographs, they would go to see the places where I created them and see if they are still there or not, which is why I displayed a map of where I made them in the area. To see how time changes them. This collection of photographs was inspired by Andy Goldsworthy.














 ‘Right On The Tip Of My Tongue’, oil paint on paper and text, 2018

This mix of paintings and text represent what I have brought back from my holiday travels of the last 4 years. It includes the written info of where and when these memories took place and what I can remember of the events when I took the photos. The separated text represents how memory has gaps (forgetting) in remembering small details. The postcard-size painting come from photographs I took of these travels which I blurred out precise details to represent the fading of memories. The artwork shows opposition of photography vs memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment